This is a living document, and it will grow as we do.
Everything we do at hues is inspired, motivated, or guided by the beliefs above. And those ideas — each of the 25 — have their own history. They come from different people, evidence-based research, collective consciousness, and shower realizations.
As hues grows, we will explore these ideas — our credos — in a variety of ways: we’ll feature an individual credo (first featured was LOVE YOUR STORY); collaborate with artists to get their takes on the idea; talk about where it comes from for us; and present it all to you in the end, archived, and available for posterity.
It’s our hope that beyond being a poster of abstract aphorisms, we’ll have a ever-expanding Guidebook of How To Live Well, created by a community of writers, painters, thinkers, and livers. That said, we still love this poster of abstract aphorisms. It’s our map. We’ll chart our progress here.
- Aspire to a more beautiful world.
- You don’t have to ask for permission to smile.
- Connection is a basic human need.
- Where empathy leads, understanding follows.
- Nothing is original: we stand on the shoulders of giants, who stood on the shoulders of giants before them.
- Vulnerability is unbridled courage.
- Love radically.
- Awareness awakens consciousness.
- Live while you’re alive; regret when you’re dead.
- You change the world every day: it’s up to you to change it for the better.
- It’s not just possible to change the world, it’s impossible not to.
- To care for ourselves, we must care for one another, and together care for the Earth.
- We live in natural abundance; scarcity is manufactured.
- Mindfulness is just breathing.
- All oppressions are connected by capitalism.
- Our lives are made better by wanting the things we need.
- Helping when you don’t have to is an act of revolution.
- Language shapes reality as much as reality shapes language: swap “and” for “but” or “get to” for “have to” and bask in the difference.
- For everything you stand against, stand up for something more beautiful.
- Unhappiness is a social construction.
- Be loyal to people, and to the planet, not the systems that separate us.
- Art is both the process and outcome of human connection.
- Treat others in the ways they want to be treated.
- Some of the most complex beauty exists in overlooked simplicities: breath deep, identify, appreciate.
- Love your story. (shirts)